Thursday, February 4, 2010

Savasana

I've been going to yoga every now and then since a new yoga place opened near my house only about a year ago. I am really not very good at it (although, I'm getting better!) but this past weekend I was there and I think I realized the REAL reason why I enjoy it so much: Savasana.

Savasana is a pose in yoga also referred to as the 'corpse pose'. At the end of every class for about 3-5 minutes we spend in this pose which is literally laying on your back with your arms by your side and your palms facing up. It is a relaxation pose and the goal is to stop your mind from thinking about everything and just focus on your body and relaxing.

This is the hardest part of the entire hour and 15 minute class for me. There is never a minute in my day that my mind isn't racing with the millions of things I need to be doing, things I've done in the past, or things I should do in the future. I hardly ever give my self time to relax and I feel as though I can justify those few minutes of pure relaxation because it is actually something I'm SUPPOSED to be doing!

I am trying this semester to be less stressed out and to, for lack of better wording, try not to care so much about every little detail of everything in my life. So far the opposite is happening...maybe I'll start adding some mandatory Savasana time into my daily schedule.

0 comments: