Saturday, October 17, 2009

Apple Pies!

This past Friday in Second Grade we made Apple Pies! Regardless of the ridiculous hour I was up until the night before prepping for the pie making- it was the best day and so incredibly worth it.

Each student got a pie tin and 2 pre-cut circles of pie dough. First they each had a turn peeling an apple with a crazy intense apple peeler thing. Then the kids got to put one piece of dough into their tin and my cooperating teacher showed how to measure (of course we included some math in there because everything must meet a standard these days) all of the ingredients that go into the filling. My cooperating teacher and a parent volunteer made a big batch of the filling while I read the story of Johnny Appleseed aloud to the class. I had so much fun with that read aloud!
Thennn each student filled their pin tin and we taught them how to put the little slits into the top of their dough. Then they put the top piece on and pinched the edges. So cute!

It was amazing how seriously they took their pie making- you could've heard a pin drop while they were doing it! It was such a relaxing and enjoyable Friday afternoon. And I am sure that these students may not remember the Long E phonics lesson I taught that morning, but they will never forget the day they made Apple Pie in second grade! I am making a promise to myself now that I will make apple pies with my own classes!

How precious is that??

0 comments: